ESD Malaysia

ESD Company

The Expatriate Services Division (ESD) enables companies to submit expatriate-related immigration information to facilitate the application process involved in registering and approving companies that wish to hire expatriates.

ESD approved companies can apply for a range of expatriate passes which includes: the Employment Pass, the Residence Pass-Talent, the Professional Visit Pass, and related passes such as the Dependant Pass, the Long-Term Social Visit Pass, or the Visit Pass (Temporary Employment) – Foreign Maids.

Employment Pass

The Employment Pass (EP) is a work permit that enables an expatriate to take up employment with an organisation in Malaysia. The pass is subject to the contract of employment (up to 60 months). The Expatriate Committee (EC) or relevant authorities must give approval for foreign talent to fill a position before the issuance of an expatriate Employment Pass can be made by the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

Expatriates may only work for the company named in the Employment Pass. If an EP holder change employer, the EP holder will need to resubmit a new application for a new EP.

Types of Employment Pass and Minimum Salaries Requirements

There are three types of employment pass which are as follows:

  1. Employment Pass (EP) – for applicants earning a fixed monthly salary of at least RM 10,000 and Applicant must have an employment contract valid for a minimum of 5 years.
  2. Employment Pass – Category II (EPII) – for applicants earning a fixed monthly salary of at least RM 5,000 and up to RM 9,999 and Applicant has an employment contract valid for 2 years.
  3. Employment Pass – Category III (EPIII) – for applicants earning a fixed monthly salary of between RM3,000 to RM4,999 and Applicant has an employment contract period not exceeding 12 months.

Professional Visit Pass

A Professional Visit Pass (PVP) is granted to foreign talents with acceptable professional qualifications or skills. They can enter the country and provide services or undergo practical training with a Malaysian company on behalf of an overseas company for a short-term period of not exceeding twelve (12) months. To qualify for a PVP, the applicant must be outside Malaysia at the time of application. An Expatriate is only allowed to work with the company as stated in the pass. Besides, PVP holders are not entitled to apply for Dependant Passes for his / her family members.

The following type of working roles may qualify for the PVP:

• Professor/Lecturer/Speaker
• Researcher/Assistant Researcher
• Consultant
• Technical Advisor
• Installation and Fixing of Machines and equipment expert
• Maintenance expert of Machines and equipment

See how Premia TNC can help you with
your visa matters here.